Marcy Goldman/BetterBaking.com, 2/23/09
YIELDS: About 40 pieces
Matzoh, 6- inch square, 5 each
Butter or margarine, 1 cup
Brown sugar, 1 cup
Sea Salt, coarse, to taste
Chocolate chips, semi-sweet, bittersweet, or white, 2 cups
Nuts, toasted and chopped (almonds, pecans, etc), 2 cups
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a sheet pan with parchment or a Silpat and grease the (parchment only) lightly.
3. Arrange matzoh in a single layer covering entire bottom of pan.
4. Place butter, brown sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until butter melts.
5. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to boil. Boil for three minutes.
6. Immediately pour butter-sugar mixture over matzoh, spreading evenly with an offset spatula.
7. Bake for 5 minutes in the oven until surface is bubbly.
8. Remove from oven, immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. When chips have melted, use offset spatula to spread chocolate into an even coating.
9. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, pressing gently to adhere.
10. Allow toffee crunch to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 1 hour, until entire pan is well chilled.
11. Break into chunks, store tightly covered at room temperature up to one week, or freeze up to one month.