This is my favorite breakfast casserole… do you want to know why? Because I can use absolutely anything I have left over in my fridge, throw it all together in five minutes and voilà! A nice, hearty meal for 4-5 people! Not to mention… cleanup is a SNAP!
Here’s the recipe I used this morning:
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Sprinkle of dried mustard, salt, and pepper
- About 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of choice
- 6 pieces of white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
WHAT TO DO:
- Step 1: Cook the sausage in a Fry Pan
- Step 2: In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, dried mustard, & salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3: Set your Mold on top of a Baking Sheet. Layer the bottom of your Mold of choice with shredded cheese. (I used the Flower Mold.)
- Step 4: Layer the cooked sausage over cheese in the Mold.
- Step 5: Layer cubed bread over sausage in the Mold.
- Step 6: Pour egg mixture over bread and press down with spatula to soak bread completely.
- Step 7: Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, if the bread starts to get too brown, cover with a Silpat for remainder of cook time.
- Step 8: After baking, let cool for about 5-10 minutes and then unmold onto platter. If the cheese looks too dark (I burnt mine, oops) , you can flip it over to show the nicely golden, baked bread!
- Step 9: EAT! If you’ve used the Flower Mold, you can easily cut an X through your casserole to make cute servings in the shape of a heart! ❤
Here are the products we used in this recipe!
Perforated Baking Sheet
Small Silpat (as a lid)